Fun ways to encourage good behavior
Building a bond with your child helps encourage good behavior. This is an important part of being a family! (Remember: your kids need limits too.)
Simple things you can do everyday
· Say nice things about your kids to other people when they can overhear you. It helps them feel competent and loved!
· Smile and acknowledge your child every time they walk into the room.
· Catch your child being good! Our behavior charts have great tips on how to make this work!
· For older kiddos, create a book club and read the same book your child chooses to read.
· On that same note, read to your child every night.
· Create a secret handshake.
· Start the day with a positive greeting and smile. When your kids wake up, give them a big hug and create a little saying like, “Good morning sunshine! I’m so happy you’re awake!” Remember, you set the tone for the day.
· Turn off the TV and be active with your kids: go outside and play ball, wrestle, ride bikes, blow bubbles.
· Turn on music and dance; be silly.
· Sing together in the car.
· Take your kiddo on a date.
· Go to a farmer’s market.
· Watch funny YouTube videos together.
· Take cookies to a nursing home.
· Play “I spy.”
· Plant some vegetables and tend the garden together. Bonus: this is a good way to get kids to eat vegetables.
· Go to the park.
· Start family traditions like Friday pizza night, or Sunday morning pancakes, or Monday night family game night.
· Ask how their day went and really listen.
· Reflect back what you hear your kids say, so they know you are listening.
· Put away your phone and computer.
· Really pay attention and find joy in their little personalities.
· Relax and have fun with your amazing kids!